A term of art that denotes all the defense measures you can take before you draw a firearm.
In order by increasing force:
- Be willing to defend yourself
- Know the law
- Maintain situational awareness
- Retreat from the situation
- Use voice commands
- Use pepper spray
- Break away and escape
- Run - hide - fight
- Use common objects to defend yourself
- Defend against common weapons
- Use hand-to-hand offensive attacks
- As a last resort, use your gun
Although our primary focus is helping you learn to shoot, we think it is equally important to learn how to AVOID shooting if at all possible.
We believe that using a firearm for self-defense should be your last resort, after all other methods have failed. For this reason we incorporate Layers of Safety
into most workshops.
Police and military refer to similar concepts as the "Continuum of Force". However our list is more applicable to the average citizen.